Easy Pastry for Sausage Rolls
These sausage rolls are perfect for a light winter lunch when hot, or a summer picnic when cold.
Ingredients for Pastry
- 1 cup (120g) Janie’s Mill All Purpose Flour or Janie’s Mill Silky Smooth Pastry Flour (These two may also be combined 50/50.)
- 1 stick (115g) of cold salted butter cut into cubes and chilled in the freezer for fifteen minutes
- A pinch of salt
- Around 10 tablespoons of icy chilled water
Method and Tips for Pastry:
Place one cup of flour Into a food processor and pulse until the flour and butter looks like rough breadcrumbs. Drizzle in cold water until the pastry begins to clump. Work fast so everything stays very cold. Wrap dough and set it in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
Make your sausage filling while the pastry cools.
Ingredients for sausage filling
- One pound organic ground pork
- Herbs - fresh or dried for seasoning
- Pepper and Salt
- 1/4 onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped roasted garlic
Combine half the ground pork and all the onion and garlic and seasonings in the food processor and pulse until fine. Fold in the other half of the pork.
Make the sausage rolls
Take the pastry from the refrigerator and roll it out thin - about 1/4 inch thick and about 10 inches across.. You want a long rectangular shape. Paint the outside edges of the pastry with either egg or water. Then arrange the pork sausage meat in a long roll to one side of the pastry sheet, roll the pastry over and around the meat rolling the whole log with it until the seam is at the bottom. Cut into bite sized pieces.
Arrange the pieces separately on a baking sheet. Bake in a 400F oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown and serve hot with ketchup or tomato chutney.
Posted on December 23 2019