Double Chocolate Bundt Cake
This fudgy Chocolate Bundt Cake made with our finely-sifted Frederick Cake Flour is irresistible on its own. But if you really want to impress someone, cloak it in a dark chocolate ganache and garnish with chocolate shavings and berries . . . ooooh la la!
- 1 cup buttermilk (or use 1 Tb white vinegar plus enough regular milk to make 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups Janie’s Mill Frederick Cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cups cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee (or hot water if you are avoiding caffeine)
For Ganache Frosting:
- 1 cup (8 oz) heavy cream
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate (chopped), or dark chocolate chips
For Garnish (optional): raspberries or strawberries, chocolate shavings or chocolate chips, mint leaves
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease a bundt pan with butter and dust with flour.
- Stir baking soda into buttermilk, set aside.
- Put the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and salt into a stand mixer bowl, and combine on low speed.
- Add all of the wet ingredients — baking soda/buttermilk, oil, eggs, vanilla, and coffee — to the stand mixer and combine on low speed until just incorporated.
- Pour batter into the bundt pan and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until wooden pick comes out clean.
Let cake cool completely before frosting it with ganache, and adding berries and chocolate if desired.
- Place the chopped chocolate or chocolate chips into the bowl of a food processor.
- Heat the cream in a quart-sized, microwaveable container in the microwave oven for 3 or 4 minutes, or until it just begins to simmer. Don't let it boil!
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate in the food processor and let stand about 2 minutes to allow the chocolate to slowly melt.
- Process by pulsing a few times, until chocolate mixture is smooth. Drizzle the warm ganache over the cool cake.
- Garnish with berries and chocolate shavings or chocolate chips
- Serve with whipped cream if desired.
Posted on January 30 2020