Overnight Farmhouse Muesli with Flaked Grains
Our Oat Flakes, on their own or in combination with our Barley Flakes, Rye Flakes and/or Wheat Flakes, makes for a quick, easy, and healthy way to start your day! Just soak the grain flakes overnight in milk along with your favorite spices and dried fruits. Then in the morning you can eat as-is, or top with your favorite fruits, yogurt, and honey!
Yield: approximately 4 servings
- 2 cups Janie's Mill Oat Flakes OR 1 cup Oat Flakes, plus 1/2 cup Rye Flakes and 1/2 cup Wheat Flakes or Barley Flakes (Or substitute any Janie's Mill grain flakes for a total of 2 cups!))
- 3 cups milk (or use water, or any plant-based milk)
- 1 cup raisins or other dried fruits
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp cinnamon (or any spices you like)
- 1 or 2 grated apples or pears, orange segments, or any seasonal fruits
- Sweetener of your choice (brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, etc)
- Toppings of your choice (granola, fresh or dried fruit, nuts, etc.)
Equipment You'll Need
- large bowl
- Spoon to occasionally stir the oatmeal while cooking
- Put the flaked grains and milk (or water) in a large bowl. Add the dried fruit, salt, and spices. Stir well, cover, and place in your regrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, spoon a serving into a small bowl. Add the fresh-grated apples or pears, yogurt, other fruits, and honey or maple syrup. Stir well and enjoy!
Posted on April 15 2023