Shop ALL products
Free Shipping on retail orders over $100, use code FREESHIPPING100
(Excludes AK, HI, and Wholesale)
Sifted Durum Sourdough Bread
Following the famous Tartine Bakery method, this bread combines the dense richness of our Sifted Durum flour with the rising power of High-Protein Bread Flour. It has a nutty flavor and a golden hue from a high ratio of Sifted Durum.
With the Goose Lame from Monkey Wire Shop, even beginners can do beautiful scoring, as we did on this loaf!
Yield: 2 boules
- 200 g active leaven (sourdough starter)
750 g warm water (75% hydration)
- 600 g High-Protein Bread Flour
- 400 g Sifted Durum Flour
- 20 g salt
- Large mixing bowl
2 bannetons or towel-lined mixing bowls
Dutch oven or other heavy pot or pan
- Goose lame from Wire Monkey, or a sharp knife for scoring
- In a large bowl, dissolve 200 grams of active leaven in 700 grams of warm water.
- Mix 20 grams of salt with remaining 50 grams of water and set aside.
- Mixing: Add High-Protein and Sifted Durum flours to the dissolved leaven and mix using your hands or a dough whisk until no traces of dry flour remain. Cover bowl with a damp towel and let rest (autolyse) for 30 minutes.
- Add salty water mixture and use hands to mix thoroughly. The dough will seem to fall apart and then come back together. Cover dough with a damp towel and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Folding: Fold the dough (3 hours): Wet hands and perform a four fold. Lift up one side of the dough, stretching it up and over the rest of the dough. Rotate the bowl and repeat this action 3 more times. Do this every 30 minutes for a total of 3 hours.
- Transfer dough to a floured work surface. Divide dough into 2 equal pieces. Fold the dough onto itself so the flour on the underside remains on the outside of the loaf. Flip seam side down and work dough into taut rounds. Cover and let the dough rest, seam side down, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, generously flour 2 bannetons or towel-lined mixing bowls.
- Shaping: Dust rounds with flour and flip them over. Pull the bottom edge of the dough towards you, then fold it up into the middle third of the dough. Repeat this action on the left and right sides. Finally, repeat with the top of the dough, folding up and over your previous fold. Roll dough over onto this seam and shape once more into a taut ball. Repeat with other round.
- Proofing: Transfer rounds seam side up to prepared bannetons. Cover and let rise for 3-4 hours at room temperature (~75F) or let dough rise overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat a Dutch oven at 500F for the last hour of the rising time.
- Carefully remove preheated Dutch oven and gently turn a boule into the pan seam side down.
- Scoring: Use the Goose Lame or a sharp knife to score the bread.
- Baking: Reduce oven temperature to 450F, cover, and bake for 20 minutes. Remove lid and cook for 20 more minutes until the crust is a deep, golden brown.
- Transfer bread to a wire rack to cool and repeat with the second loaf.
We loved being one of the first people to try out the brand new Goose Lame from Wire Monkey. It feels great in your hand, and allows you to do precise scoring, as simply or as intricately as you like! Here are some of its features:
- No protruding knobs, so perfect whether you are left or right handed
Posted on October 10 2022