Crunchy Oat Granola with Almond Butter
Once you taste this granola made with Janie's Mill Organic Oat Flakes, you'll never go back to store-bought again! Packed with nutrient dense Janie's Mill Oat Flakes, flax seed meal, chia seeds, and quinoa, this granola is the perfect breakfast or snack. The almond butter provides an excellent source of protein to power your day!
Yield: approximately 6 cups of granola
- 3 cups Janie's Mill Oat Flakes
- 1 cup chopped or sliced raw almonds
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup oil (melted coconut oil or olive oil)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Equipment You'll Need
- Large mixing bowl
- Small mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Mix together the oats, almonds, flax meal, chia seeds, and quinoa in a large bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the almond butter, oil, honey, almond extract, salt, and cinnamon and stir until well-blended.
- Pour the almond butter mixture over the oats. Mix well until the oil is evenly disbursed.
- Place parchment paper on a large baking sheet. Evenly spread the granola mixture over the baking sheet with a spatula. Press the granola down with your spatula to create clusters of granola.
- Bake for 14 minutes. Gently stir the granola to ensure even baking and again press the granola down with your spatula.
- Bake for 14 more minutes until golden-brown. Shut off the oven and crack the oven door, allowing the granola to completely cool undisturbed.
- After the granola is cooled, break the granola into your desired consistency.
- Place in airtight container to store. If you would like to store the granola for longer than 2 weeks, place in the freezer.
Theme and Variations
Here are a few points of inspiration and adaptation:
- Feel free to substitute with whatever nuts and seeds you have handy as this recipe is very versatile and easy to customize.
- To make granola bars, press the granola mixture firmly into a 13 x 9 pan lined with parchment. Bake at 350 until the granola is golden around the edges, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven, loosen the edges, and cool for about 5 minutes. Use a sharp knife or bench scraper to cut the bars while they are still in the pan. Remove carefully, and cool completely on a wire rack.
Posted on January 14 2023