This is the recipe that our miller Jill's family grew up with . . . but when you use freshly-ground cornmeal instead of the lifeless stuff from the grocery store, it tastes completely different!
- 1 ¼ cups Janie’s Mill Golden Yellow Cornmeal, Creamy White Cornmeal, or heirloom Bloody Butcher Cornmeal
- 3/4 cup Janie’s Mill All-Purpose Flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Put an 8-inch cast iron pan in the oven for 10 minutes. (You may also use a glass or metal 8-inch square or round pan, and then there’s no need to pre-heat it.)
- In one bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, melted butter, and milk. Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients, and stir until just combined.
- Remove the pan from the oven and brush with butter. Scrape the batter into the hot pan and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until lightly golden brown on top.
Posted on October 10 2022