New Nordic Cracked Grain Breakfast Cereal
For too long, we’ve let major multinational corporations control our breakfast choices, most of which have devolved into highly processed and addictive sugary treats, even while the boxes proclaim how healthy they are. Making your own breakfast cereal means that you control the quality and wholesomeness of the main ingredient (the rye, wheat, or other grain), as well as the toppings/additives (molasses, fruits, nuts, etc.) Enjoy the goodness of pure and simple grains, straight from Janie's Farm and Janie's Mill!
- 1 cup Janie’s Mill Cracked Rye or Cracked Wheat
- 3 cups water (more, if needed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4–1/2 cup milk or half and half (optional
- Raisins, or other dried fruit (optional)
Optional Toppings: molasses or honey, cinnamon, toasted almonds or walnuts, bananas or any fresh fruit you have on hand
- Place the cracked grains, water, salt, and dried fruit (if desired) in a heavy-bottomed sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until grains are tender and water has been absorbed, 30-35 minutes. After about 20 minutes, stir every 5 minutes or so, and if all of the water has been absorbed, add a bit more, about 1/4 cup at a time. (You may add more or less water, depending on your preferred consistency of the finished cereal.)
- Once the water is absorbed and the grains are soft, but still a bit “al dente,” spoon into serving bowls, add milk or half and half, plus whatever toppings you like.
The simple recipe makes about 6 servings. We suggest making at least that much, and perhaps even doubling the recipe, because the “extra” keeps well in the refrigerator. We know you’re busy in the morning, and making a big batch of this cereal provides you with a convenient, healthy, “instant” breakfast all week long — just heat on the stove or in the microwave, add your favorite toppings, and you’re good to go!
Posted on October 14 2019