Gems Chocolate Chip Cookies
Janie's Mill all-purpose and whole kernel flours meld beautifully with the nuttiness of browned butter and molasses, making this cookie the fulfillment of all your crunchy, gooey, homey, chocolate chip cookie aspirations. This gem of a recipe has evolved over the years in the hands of my mother, who is also our Head Miller, and myself.
Yield: 24 cookies Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) / 227 g. cooled browned butter
- ¾ cup / 150 g. granulated sugar
- 1 cup / 220 g. packed light or brown sugar
- 2 T. / 43 g. molasses (for flavor and crispiness)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. / 4.2 g. vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups / 192 g. Janie's Mill All-Purpose flour
- ½ cup / 68 g. Janie's Mill Turkey Red flour (or another whole kernel flour like Frederick White Wheat ).
- 1 tsp. / 4 g. baking powder
- 1 tsp. / 4 g. baking soda
- ½ tsp. / 2.5 g. salt
- 1-2 c. / 85-170 g. rolled oats
- 6 oz. / 150 g. semi-sweet chopped chocolate or chocolate chips (about 1 cup)
- Sea salt flakes
- Whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- Cream browned butter, sugars, and molasses until fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix to combine.
- Add the flour mixture gradually until just incorporated. Stir in the rolled oats and chocolate, mixing to combine.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Form the dough into 1 inch balls and place a few inches apart on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with sea salt flakes.
- Bake for around 12 min. until the edges are slightly browned. Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack.
This recipe is completely customizable! You can go the extra rewarding mile to brown your butter, chop Bakers chocolate, and sprinkle flaky salt on your cookies before baking, or stick to the basics for a quick and easy treat.
Posted on September 06 2020