Grandma's Pumpkin Spice Bars
You can make this recipe in a 13 x 9 pan and cut into classic bars, or spoon the batter into a cupcake pan, or a holiday-shaped silicone pan to get the cute little pumpkins above.
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups Janies Mill All-Purpose flour, Frederick Cake Flour, or Spelt Flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup cooked pumpkin
- 3/4 cup nuts or raisins (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Cream shortening, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat well.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease and flour a 12-cup muffin pan, or line with papers and grease the insides of the papers.
- Sift together dry ingredients. Add to creamed ingredients alternately with pumpkin. Fold in nuts and/or raisins.
Pour batter into 13 x 9 pan, or spoon into muffin tins or silicone holiday-shaped pans.
Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Let cool before slicing into bars.
This was the original recipe, which we've updated slightly . . . but feel free to use the classic if you wish!
Posted on October 19 2020