Which Janie's Mill Flour is Best for my Baking?
At Janie's Mill, we are proud to provide you with a comprehensive collection of stone-milled, certified organic flours. Of course, when you are new to Janie's Mill flours, all the choices can be a little daunting! But choosing the right flour for your baking is really not that difficult, and makes all the difference to your final product.
Here, at a glance, are the flours we recommend when you’re making Breads, Desserts, Pancakes/Waffles, Pasta, Pie or Pastry, and Pizza. Scroll down for more details and suggested substitutions or flour blends for each category.
AT A GLANCE, if you are making . . .
- Yeast or Sourdough BREADS, we have five great bread flours for you:
- High-Protein Bread Flour
- Whole-Kernel Bread Flour
- Artisan Blend Bread Flour
- Sifted Artisan Bread Flour
- Italian-Style Pizza Flour
See details and suggestions about bread flours below.
- European-style, Hearty BREADS are delicious when made with these whole-kernel flours, many of which are ancient grains or heirloom varieties of wheat, full of flavor and nutrition.
- Whole-Kernel Bread Flour
- Red Fife Flour
- Turkey Red Flour
- Durum Flour
- Black Emmer Flour
- Spelt Flour
See details and suggestions about these flours below.
- DESSERTS -- Most Cakes and Cookies and other Sweet Treats are excellent when made with Janie’s Mill All-Purpose flour, but we also have great pastry, cake, and other flours you can substitute for All-Purpose in most recipes. See details below.
- PANCAKES & WAFFLES are hearty and delicious when made with Buckwheat or Einkorn, but you may also substitute and blend with other flours — details below.
- PASTA -- All of the flours that we stone-mill from Durum Wheat make excellent pasta. These include:
- Durum Flour
- Sifted Durum Flour
- Semolina Flour
Italian style Pizza Flour may also be used — see details below.
- PIE CRUST & PASTRY DOUGH -- Our Silky Smooth Pasty flour is the preferred flour, but you may also used Sifted Durum, and/or blend with All-Purpose — details below.
- PIZZA -- Our Pizza Italian Pizza Flour is milled from a blend of the Hard Red Spring Wheat and Turkey Red berries. Then sifted as close to 00 as a stone ground flour will get. It is a very popular flour with our bakers - add a touch of Spelt or Einkorn for the taste of Rome!
We have five bread flours that make great loaves of sourdough or yeasted breads, from ciabatta to a country loaf.
NOTE: Janie's Mill All Purpose is NOT a bread flour. It is an incredibly versatile flour and I always have a bag in my refrigerator, but it does not have the gluten development for bread. See below for more things to bake with our All Purpose Flour.
For Hearty European-Style Whole-Kernel BREADS
If you prefer a dense hearty winter bread, or if your recipe calls for whole wheat flour (usually at a lower percentage), choose one of our whole kernel flours. My favorites are: Whole Kernel Bread Flour, Red Fife Flour, Turkey Red Flour, Durum Flour, Black Emmer Flour and Spelt Flour. These are 100% extraction flours with all the goodness of the whole kernel of wheat finely ground into flour.
Although they are high in protein, these flours have only medium to low gluten development. If you love those tight crumb heavy European breads, these are the flours for you. Or blend them with High Protein Bread Flour for lightness, and additional taste and health benefits. Go here for my article on The Wild Magic of Blending Flours for bread.
For DESSERTS -- Cakes, Cookies, and other Sweet Treats
For PANCAKES & WAFFLES
Einkorn is my favorite flour for pancakes. Our Einkorn is a whole kernel flour (not an All Purpose grade) so I do not call it a bread flour (though a loaf with 15% Einkorn blended in with the bread flours is really good).
All Purpose, Red Fife, Black Emmer, and Buckwheat also make great pancakes and waffles, on their own or blended.
I generally use Sifted Durum Flour for my spaghetti, ravioli, and noodles. But sometimes I use Italian-Style Pizza Flour, or a blend of the Durum and Italian Pizza Flour, which make great light pastas.
For PIE CRUST or Country Pastry
I use a blend of All Purpose and Silky Smooth Pastry Flour for a pie crust. Silky Smooth Pastry Flour alone will give you a light flaky pastry great for apple turnovers, etc. I love Sifted Durum for my steak pies and tartins. Below is a pie crust made with Sifted Durum.
Our Italian Pizza Flour is milled from a blend of the Hard Red Spring Wheat and Turkey Red berries. Then sifted as close to 00 as a stone ground flour will get. It is a very popular flour with our bakers - add a touch of Spelt or Einkorn for the taste of Rome.
Keep in mind that the stone milling process grinds the bran and wheat-germ into the flour. Plus our flours are purely organic; no conditioners or bleaches or whitening treatments so your bread and cakes and cookies will be a natural light caramel colour and each of the wheats gives a different hue.More on that here.
I am Cecilia - your Customer Care person. If you call 815 953 1073 you will reach me or my answer machine and I will be the one calling you back. You have a real Janie's Mill person to talk to so do not hesitate to call or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are not sure which flour to order. Just ask. We love to talk baking.
Posted on February 16 2022